20 Sep Capacity Building of Teachers
The second edition of the BePart capacity building of teachers in the field of citizenship education will take place between October 2021 and January 2022, and will consist of both online and in-person sessions. Lessons from previous training will be applied to upgrade this edition.
In recent years, there has been significant progress in the promotion of citizenship education in schools, with an increase in the number of events and projects promoting youth empowerment and the development of civic competences by youth. Nonetheless, despite this improvement, it appears that teachers need to develop their knowledge, skills, and competence in creating and implementing civic education, primarily at three levels:
- There is no regulation or guidelines for the integration of the acquisition and development of teachers’ competencies in citizenship education through initial teachers’ education.
- Although there is an investment in teachers’ continuing professional development (CPD), promoted by the majority of education authorities, even in this field, there is still a lack of offer in what concerns the development of specific competencies of teachers for the integration of citizenship in regular schools.
- There is, also, a lack of guidelines for teachers on how to assess students in citizenship education.
For this second training, each school will release a call for two new teachers while keeping one teacher who was previously trained and conducted the participatory process last year.
Save the following dates in your agenda for the BePart training:
- Session 1: October 14th (Thursday) – 2 pm to 5 pm CET online
- Session 2: November 9th (Tuesday) – 2 pm to 5 pm CET online
- Session 3: December 9th (Thursday) – 2 pm to 5 pm CET online
- Extra Session: in January – in person, if possible (date to be confirmed)